Sie können Bookmarks mittels Listen verwalten, loggen Sie sich dafür bitte in Ihr SLUB Benutzerkonto ein.
- Medientyp: Buch
- Titel: The pale king : an unfinished novel
- Beteiligte: Wallace, David Foster [VerfasserIn]
- Erschienen: London [u.a.]: Hamish Hamilton, 2011
- Umfang: X, 547 S.
- Sprache: Englisch
- ISBN: 0241145147; 9780241145142; 9780241144800
HU 9800 : Sonstige
HU 9087 : Primärliteratur
Einsamkeit > Depression
- Beschreibung: This is David Foster Wallace's final and most ambitious undertaking - an audacious and hilarious look into the abyss of ordinary life. The agents at the IRS Regional Examination Centre in Peoria, Illinois, appear ordinary enough to newly arrived trainee David Wallace. But as he immerses himself in a routine so tedious and repetitive that new employees receive boredom-survival training, he learns of the extraordinary variety of personalities drawn to this strange calling. And he has arrived at a moment when forces within the IRS are plotting to eliminate even what little humanity and dignity the work still has. "The Pale King" remained unfinished at the time of David Foster Wallace's death, but it is a deeply intriguing and satisfying novel, hilarious and fearless and as original as anything Wallace ever undertook. It grapples directly with ultimate questions - questions of life's meaning and of the ultimate value of work and family - through characters imagined with the interior force and generosity that were Wallace's unique gifts. Along the way it suggests a new idea of heroism and commands infinite respect for a writer who dared to take on the most daunting subjects the human spirit can imagine.
- Status: Ausleihbar